Distance Learning and State Authorization

Search Courses

Request Information

Complete this simple form to receive more information about Cowley College

Reach Out To LEARN MORE!

Cowley College has obtained exemption or authorization for all of our online programs in all 50 states and three territories.

If an institution is offering postsecondary education through distance or correspondence education to students in a State in which it is not physically located or in which it is otherwise subject to State jurisdiction as determined by the State, the institution must meet any State requirements for it to be legally offering distance or correspondence education in that State.

Cowley College has been accepted as an institutional participant in the SARA initiative through the Kansas Board of Regents (KBOR).

Kansas was approved by the Midwestern Higher Education Compact (MHEC) on November 16, 2014, to join the Midwestern State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (M-SARA).


“SARA is an agreement among member states, districts and territories that establishes comparable national standards for interstate offerings of postsecondary distance education courses and programs. It is intended to make it easier for students to take online courses offered by postsecondary institutions based in another state. SARA is overseen by a National Council and administered by four regional education compacts.”

Cowley College’s online courses and programs are available to students in all SARA states. If the program includes internships, field experiences, student teaching, and/or clinical placements, please check with the Program Director.


Why Cowley College
Cowley student online

Complaint Process

If you are a student in an online program and you have concerns and/or complaints, please contact your advisor first.

Cowley College is dedicated to providing the best possible student experience. When an issues is brought to our attention, we will intervene in the matter to seek resolution.  Most complaints can be resolved utilizing the internal process available.

Student rights and expectations are described in the Student Code of Conduct. The Executive Director of Student affairs and Vice President of Academic Affairs investigates the nature of complaints confidentially and impartially in order to achieve equitable settlements, connecting students to the appropriate party for issue resolution.

Programs may have their own student codes of conduct and complaint processes as defined by the department.

If the student (all states except MA and CA) has exhausted all possible avenues for complaints, at the institution, they may contact the Kansas Board of Regents Complaint Process. If the student is from Massachusetts, please contact the Massachusetts Department of Higher Education - Submit a Complaint. If the student is from California, please contact the Department of Consumer Affairs - Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education.


Professional Licensure

If you are considering an online academic program that leads to a professional license in your state, it is recommended that you contact the appropriate licensing agency in your home state before beginning the academic program located outside your state. SARA does not provide reciprocity for state professional licensing requirements. Academic programs and individual graduates must meet standards set by that state in order to be eligible for a license. Eligibility for licensure and/or certification may involve more than successful degree/program completion.


online associate degree programs
Reach Out To LEARN MORE!
Request Information APPLY NOW